We all know the Waugh Chapel area in Gambrills along Rt. 3 South between Severna Park and Bowie. If you're anything like me, you've been hitting the Home Goods there for years. For the last six to eight months, the newest addition, Waugh Chapel South, has been adding some great stores and restaurants. Unlike the original Waugh Chapel, which isn't all that pedestrian-friendly, WC South boasts wide walkways down a 'main street', and ample parking for the anchor stores.
Some of my favorites to check out:
- Target! I mean, who doesn't love a good Target. And this one is big, shiny, and easy to get in and out of.
- Drive-thru Starbucks: Yes, there's one in the aforementioned Target, but for a full-service caffeine fix, head to their store.
- Regal Cinemas: Yes, we now have a movie theatre outside of Annapolis city limits! We've found it clean & comfortable for the many movies we've seen there. Plus, the parking is much better than at the Bowtie Cinemas at the mall & Harbour Center.
- Old Navy: If you're thinking, "An Old Navy is an Old Navy is an Old Navy," you'd be wrong. Old Navy apparently has two types of stores - the normal ones with great deals on everyday items, and slightly higher-end ones that include way more accessories, shoes, and generally a larger clothes selection. WC South has one of the latter. So go pick up some cool ombre wayfarers & enamel bangles before they run out.
- Coalfire: We love this locally-owned chain. Highly recommend starting with the onion rings (lightly battered and bendy - more like onion straws), and following it up with a signature-sauced pizza (though the classic sauce and spicy sauce both earn high marks as well).
- Bonefish Grill: Bang-bang Shrimp, anyone?
- Wegmans: Last but definitely not least, this has become my go-to spot for large shopping trips. While I still go to my neighborhood Safeway to pick up a few last minute items a couple times a week, Wegmans puts itself at the very top of the grocery store... er... food chain. Shopping there is an experience that elevates a mundane errand to a foodie's amusement park.
There's something for all ages - Carters just opened a store over by Bed Bath & Beyond, and there's a Snip-Its that specializes in kids haircuts and parties. There's also a Five Below, Justice, and the self-serve frozen yogurt spot Yolavie.
My husband and I went for dinner & a movie recently, and they had live music on the main street area and the place was buzzing with families and couples out for a nice evening. I'll be posting reviews as I try the restaurants and shop a little more in the stores. In the meantime, check out this great new spot!